#FightForGK Movement – Truth about the Greg Kelley Case Part 2

Standard

Greg Kelley was convicted on two counts of Super Aggravated Sexual Assault of a child on July 15, 2014. This conviction came after a jury of twelve members listened to the testimony presented by both sides. What the jurors used to base their decision on included the following key points:

  • A detailed, eyewitness account of the rapes by the child who identified Greg Kelley as the abuser, and also identified “Greg’s room” as the location of the attacks. The child also described the lotion Greg Kelley used during the abuse, pointing out that it wasn’t white like the lotions he’s seen before. The child said Greg’s lotion was yellow (a detail too small for a child to make up).
  • The daycare owner initially told Detective Dailey that Greg did not have access to the children because she said he was never there when the children were there, and she insisted that the boys were lying. She also said the children were not allowed to go upstairs where the bedrooms were.
  • The daycare owner changed her story to Detective Dailey several times, finally admitting that Greg Kelley actually was there at times when the children were there. She also admitted the children did have access to roam all over the house, including upstairs, and that it was possible that Greg Kelley could have been alone in his room with the children.
  • A witness testified that Greg Kelley had told him on several occasions that he was a Marine Sniper, and that he would be deployed to Afghanistan within the next few weeks.

Ultimately, as Chief Mannix of Cedar Park Police Department explained to me, “The twelve jurors based their decision on the fact that they found the child to be believable and they found Mr. Kelly to not be believable.” In other words, the jury BELIEVED the child to be truthful and therefore they BELIEVED that Greg Kelley sexually abused him. So it would not have made any difference if Detective Dailey had interviewed the entire neighborhood, this jury believed the eyewitness testimony of the child.

Greg Kelley’s character was greatly compromised by the testimony of the gym owner and he was found not credible. So despite what Kelley supporters have argued, even if Kelly had allowed the investigators to question him initially, he would have still been found not credible based on testimony. He was found to be a liar.

After the conviction, Kelly supporters ramped up their “no evidence” campaign by holding multiple rallies and fundraisers, and continuing to speak very publicly in the media against the Cedar Park Police Department for what they said was a “mishandled case.” Chief Mannix thought after the conviction that this group would fizzle out, but when it didn’t he sent an email to all the troops, arming them with the facts of the case and warning them to be alert of the GK Movements “cult-like” behavior.

By mid-August, 2014, the movement was in full-swing with supporters holding multiple rallies and fundraisers and leaders voicing their protests regarding the “lack of evidence,” all while continuing to bash the detective work on the case. During the weekend of August 15, 2014, another rally was planned by the GK supporters as well as plans for the group to protest at the courthouse on August 20th.

Amy Smith of the Survivor’s Network of Those Abused by Priests (SNAP) and child advocate had followed this case closely. With the upcoming protests in the works, she contacted Chief Mannix to request a copy of the email he’d sent weeks earlier to his troops. With the Chief’s permission, Amy posted the email on her blog, Watch Keep. You can read a the Chief’s email statement here.

On August 13, 2014 Chief Mannix heard that Jake Brydon was not happy about the email that had been released on Amy Smith’s blog, and he sent the following email to him:

Mannix Email

Meanwhile, news stations also got wind of Amy’s blog post and reached out to Chief Mannix for an interview. Knowing his statement was going to soon be televised on a local station, Chief Mannix emailed Pastor Bob Brydon as a courtesy, warning him that the pending news story could likely include the email exchange between the two of them (emails I posted previously). The news report can be found here.

Here is the email from Mannix to Brydon:


——– Original message ——–

From: Sean Mannix

Date:08/13/2014 9:43 PM (GMT-06:00)

To: pastorbob@generationschurch.net

Subject: Media Request

Pastor Bob,

I hope this email finds you well.

One of the local news outlets has requested an original copy of the email that I sent to my troops, which I have forwarded, as they are doing a story on it.

Since the Fight For GK folks have elected to capitalize on my describing the cult-like appearance that this movement has taken, I will likely release all correspondence that I have had regarding this movement including our email exchange.  I believe the aggregate of these emails will clearly show the extraordinary measures I have taken to communicate a willingness to share information and protect the free speech of this group.

My internal communication was to law enforcement professionals who understand that groups exhibiting cultish behavior can be unpredictable as a result of their deep beliefs.

Anyway, I just wanted you to be aware of the pending release so you do not get caught off guard if any of it appears in the story.

Take care and, as always, please let me know if I or the CPPD can ever be of assistance.

Regards,
Sean M. Mannix
Chief of Police
Cedar Park Police Department
512-260-4728

Sent from my iPad


Pastor Brydon disagreed with this decision and the next three emails were exchanged:


On Aug 14, 2014, at 8:54 AM, “Pastor Bob” <pastorbob@generationschurch.net> wrote:

I disagree with you releasing our private conversation. I have kept your letter private for the same reason. Respectfully, Bob Brydon

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® 3, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone


——– Original message ——–

From: Sean Mannix

Date:08/14/2014 8:58 AM (GMT-06:00)

To: Pastor Bob

Subject: Re: Media Request

I understand, but unfortunately Jake has chosen to take a public position against me and the police department. In those cases, the public deserves the whole story. If you and / or Jake would like to visit, let me know. You may be able to offer a better communication strategy than the current public discourse.

With great respect,

S. Mannix

Sent from my iPhone]


At some point while Chief Mannix was sending the original email warning to Pastor Brydon, Jake Brydon sent Mannix an email as well. I do not have a copy of that email, but can derive from the Chief’s response below that Jake went on a small rant about recent release of information. The Chief’s very professional response to Jake follows, but please note as you read it how many documented times Chief Mannix has already offered to meet with both Jake Brydon and his father, Pastor Bob Brydon. He is offering his time to answer any questions these men may have regarding this case, but each time they refuse.

On Aug 13, 2014, at 10:01 PM, Sean Mannix <Sean.Mannix@cedarparktexas.gov<mailto:Sean.
Mannix@cedarparktexas.gov>> wrote:
Jake,

Thanks for reaching out.  Apparently we were busy at the keyboard at the 
same time as I was composing the below email to your father at the same time 
and saw your email as soon as I sent it.

Do you believe that a meeting would be of value?  Right now I have a bit of 
a trust issue related to you, and believe that the dialogue may get twisted 
as it was earlier today.

All of my communications have been extremely supportive of your right to
assemble and protest and I believe after the bashing today the public is 
deserving of the truth of my entire communications.

You may not consider yourselves a cult but you have exhibited cult like behavior
as outlined in my earlier email and my officers were given that information 
to be aware of potential unexpected behavior that comes with advancing deep 
beliefs in a public setting.

Make no mistake, I don't get my feelings hurt when criticized, I simply tell 
the truth.

In any case, it is not in my nature to deny access to any member of the 
community.  If you would like to meet tomorrow with me and Assistant Chief 
Harmon we can get together before noon, as I have a lunch meeting with a 
local pastor that I do not want to stand up.  If you can't make it in the 
morning I can try to open up the afternoon.

Your father is welcome to join us if he wishes.

Take care,
Sean Mannix

Sent from my iPad

As I read over Chief Mannix’s response to Brydon, I see a sensible man who has calmly stated the facts and is allowing time for Brydon who has publicly “bashed” Mannix and his entire investigative team. You would think Jake would do the same, respond in a calm, mature fashion, right? Wrong. Read on:

On Aug 13, 2014, at 10:24 PM, "Jake Brydon" <jake@heritagecctx.com<mailto:jake@heritagecctx.com>> wrote:
Mtg will Probably be of no value...

If you continue to name call and label, my only choice will be to begin putting 
major pressure on the city...

Your out of Line, disrespectful... Quite frankly a liar also, so there is probably 
nothing good that will come out of the mtg.  The nice thing about words in writing 
are what they are.

Good luck to you chief... Enjoy everyday you get to put that badge on, because I 
will be asking my elected officials to let you go ASAP.

You have confirmed where the problem lies!  You are a loose cannon, un-qualified 
and too prideful to serve this city as Chief.

Jake Brydon

President
Heritage Construction Co.
512.964.3517
Jake@HeritageCCTX.Com<mailto:Jake@HeritageCCTX.Com>

Aside from the appalling grammar, Brydon really sort of loses his composure, insults the Chief of Police, and even goes so far as to threaten his job. To quote Jake, “The nice thing about words in writing are what they are.” Yes, Jake, you are correct. Mannix sends a short reply that simply says, “Take care, Jake.”

After Mannix has a little more time to think, he composes a second email to Brydon:

On Aug 14, 2014, at 12:44 AM, Sean Mannix <Sean.Mannix@cedarparktexas.gov<m=
ailto:Sean.Mannix@cedarparktexas.gov>> wrote:
Mr. Brydon,

After re-reading your e-mail I am a little perplexed.  I sent an email to your 
father regarding a current request from the media and found your email after 
I sent it.

I saw your email as a potential olive branch that had the possibility of taking 
us in a different direction than a complete public release of my email 
communications to date. The only reason I am contemplating such release are 
your public comments of one small piece of an entire chain of communication 
in a very public way.

Since the verdict was rendered you have seen no public response from the department, 
which is the way I would like to keep things in an ideal world.  We believe 
in allowing the due process of law following its course.

I suspect you viewed my email as saying I am simply releasing all informati=
on, period.  When, in fact, I saw your email as offering an alternative con=
versation that could alter the messaging.

I am not clear, and even confused, by your references to name calling, labeling 
and lying.  I am real interested to know what I lied about as I have only 
presented information that I actually possess.

If you are upset about me referencing cult-like behaviors internally, I do want
you to know that in police jargon the troops know exactly what I am communicating, 
which is "deeply held beliefs, not necessarily supported by all the known 
facts which could lead to unpredictable behavior".  In an internal communication 
this is not a negative label, but more of a situational awareness statement. 
A public statement would read more like "they are deeply committed to their 
beliefs, although we believe the facts of the case to stand in contrast to 
those beliefs."

There are a lot of kids in the movement and we would not use "cult" in our 
public messaging, because we want them protected as well.  I'm even interested 
in hearing from you any alternative language that we might all agree on.

In closing, if you would like to visit my door is always open.  If not, that 
is fine also, but save the key-strokes of telling me what political action 
or attacks on my position you will take.  I have been in a business for 31 years 
that always brings me someone that is going to "get my badge."  If Cedar Park 
ever becomes the kind of city that upsets the political structure because 
the Chief of Police stands with the victims of violent crime, nobody will 
have to ask me to leave.  I do what I do for the love of this community, not 
because I need a job.

My direct line is 512-260-4728 if you would like to visit.

Take care,
S. Mannix

Sent from my iPad

If Cedar Park ever becomes the kind of city that upsets the political structure because the Chief of Police stands with the victims of violent crime, nobody will have to ask me to leave. I do what I do for the love of this community, not because I need a job.

Wow. I love the that quote and the direct way in which Mannix speaks to Brydon. He, once again, invites Brydon to visit. But at this point Jake is too riled up and is unable to maintain self-control, so he fires back the following:

From: Sean Mannix
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:29 AM
To: Jake Brydon
Subject: Re: Media Request

Thanks for your reply. Take care.

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 14, 2014, at 9:27 AM, "Jake Brydon" <jake@heritagecctx.com<mailto:jake@
heritagecctx.com>> wrote:

Here's the olive branch: The only thing I expect from you is a formal apology, 
to Greg Kelley, the Kelley family, and FightForGK.

I promise you sir where others may have called for your badge in the past. 
I do not make promises I do not intend to keep.  Our next several events 
will be focused on this task if you release anything other than a formal 
apology we will provide thousands of written letters, start a petition and 
protest at city hall meetings.

Do the right thing, because it's the Right thing, or do it because it's 
easier... Up to you!

Jake Brydon

President
Heritage Construction Co.
512.964.3517
Jake@HeritageCCTX.Com<mailto:Jake@HeritageCCTX.Com>

This is the man leading the fight to free a child rapist. He has no facts, nor does he want any facts. He fights against the police department and even threatens the Chief of Police. He loses his self-control. He recruits children for a fight in a child rape case where it seems inappropriate that children are involved. He doesn’t believe the eyewitness testimony of a child should be considered evidence. He’s fighting to free a man he admits he never met until after his arrest yet claims Greg Kelley is an, “outstanding individual,” and “special.” He recruits children to fight against children’s right for their testimony to be considered evidence in a trial. (Did I already say that?)

These things don’t add up to me. In fact all together I find these things quite odd, not the least bit normal, and frightening even. But you can decide that for yourself because, unlike either of the Brydon’s you now are armed with facts.

My next blog will contain information about Justice Served, an organization run by Doug Douglas and, from what I can tell, pretty much solely by him. We’ll take a look at some emails exchanged between JS and Chief Mannix and, yes you guessed it, we’ll get to see the pattern repeated of Chief Mannix’s invitation to meet, once again declined.

Part 3 of this story is here.

Advertisements

One response »

  1. Pingback: The Truth about #FightForGK, GRKFoundation and #JusticeServed Part 1 | Are We There Yet?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s